Saturday, November 8, 2008

Semester Break- The London Days

Day 1- 10/25

First Stop?  Definitely Not La Rochelle... 

The train to La Rochelle ( where the airport was) left Bordeaux at 12:11.  The train left Bordeaux, I did not.  I left my house in what I thought was plenty of time to walk to the tram, take the tram, and get on the train.  Evidently the clock at Gare St. Jean is slightly faster than every other clock in the world, so despite me running madly through the train station, the train was off the board and therefore gone when I arrived at 12:13.  After a slight panic attack (omg, if I can’t get to La Rochelle then I’m missing my flight and there is no other flight and I'M NOT GOING ON SEMESTER BREAK!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAH!!!!!), I talked to the lady at the ticket window, who wrote the time of the next train on my ticket (2pm), and then I returned home to wait out my two hours.  My homestay mom had returned from work when I got back, and she was rather surprised to see me but guessed what happened, bombarded me with questions about when my train left, and told me that she would take me to the train station, after offering me lunch and a glass of wine.

 

I made it to the train this time, got on the train, and then stood in the space between cars for the entire two and a half hour ride.  In France, they have these things called seat reservations, and because I didn’t book my ticket three months in advance, I didn’t have one… therefore, standing…. At least it was near the bathroom J.  I arrived in La Rochelle and didn’t have many difficulties from then on… shared a cab to the airport, checked in, and the magical visa in my passport got me through security without problems.  Aside from the fact that RyanAir charges for EVERYTHING on the plane (including tap water), I made it to London sans problèmes. 

 

Customs, train, tube.  Vanessa was waiting for me at the tube station (thank God, because I never would have found my way to her dorm otherwise), and then we headed to her building, which is huge and has 15 stories.  After I dropped off my stuff, we hopped back on the tube and headed to our rendez-vous with some friends, in a place called Camden, which is evidently the hotspot for nightlife.  We left in time to catch the tube before our day passes would expire (with a slight detour at King’s Cross to take very touristy pictures at Platform 9 ¾) and then played a round of Ring of Fire (aka King’s Cup) with some of Vanessa’s floormates.  I’d rather not think about what was in that cup, since I have doubts that it was washed recently….

 

Day 2- 10/26

 

Tourist day!  I met up with Lina for some normal-sized coffee and breakfast, and then we proceeded to take a free walking tour of London (after borrowing poundage from Vanessa because my ATM card didn’t work).  It was raining and a Sunday morning, and we were the only two that showed up.  Private tour!  We hit up Mr. Wu’s all-you-can-eat Chinese food buffet (for only five pounds), and then proeeded to hop on the afternoon free tour of a different part of the city.  Once again, we were the only two that showed up.  Free, private tour!  Definetly a trip highlight… we ended the tour completely freezing and headed back to Vanessa’s, where we then walked around the corner to a delicious Indian food place and proceeded to order four things and share and eat them all.  After bidding Lina farewell, the night was mellow and uneventful, aside from me trying to figure out how to make the toilet in Vanessa’s dorm flush.

 

Day 3- 10/27

 

Tourist day #2!  After sleeping in, I hit up the ATM (successful this time) and then we headed to Hard Rock Café, the original!  I enjoyed a deliciously large hamburger and some kind of mixed beverage (it was pink, since it’s breast cancer awareness month), and they even had ranch dressing!  Quite a lovely lunch, particularly because we arrived at the perfect time and took the last outside table (also the last free table in the restaurant) and therefore didn’t have to wait at all.  Following the rapid consumption of all of our food, we headed to the store, where I proceeded to buy copious amounts of souvenirs.  Being a tourist is wonderful because it means I have an excuse to go shopping!  We then headed to the Imperial War Museum, where there was a James Bond/Ian Fleming exhibit… those of you that know me well know my obsession with 007… sadly, we couldn’t take pciitures inside the exhibit, although that was probably a good thing in the long run because otherwise I would have spent all day in there!  After a short detour back to Hard Rock (the guy gave us the same two souvenir glasses and our drinks came in different ones), we headed to the dorm to drop off all our stuff, then to Starbucks, where I ordered yet another normal-sized coffee (in a real mug!) and actually was slightly productive.  Yes, I did some homework.  A visit to McDonald’s resulted in a Happy Meal and a toy that I couldn’t figure out how to use for the life of me (even after I read the directions like 8 times), then it was to bed fairly early, since I had to get up at an ungodly hour of the morning to get to Edinburgh.

 

No comments: